Tuesday, May 5, 2009

King Hard Tail Ale

A Pale Ale from
King Brewing Company - Pontiac, MI

This flavorful local offering comes from the mean streets of Caeser Chavez Blvd in northern Pontiac. While you can find sixers of this at the odd party store here and there, I decided to go straight to the source for my purchase. Sadly it was during work hours so I couldn't cozy up to the bar and sample everything. A fresh six pack from the cooler will have to do.
For an American style pale ale it stands up pretty well as it has a hoppier aroma and flavor than many others in its class. More towards a flowery hoppiness without any real citrus tones. It has a nice solid amber color but very little carbonation to go with it. It's still refreshing, but just needs a little more bubbly to make it an all-around great brew. I'm sure a pint at the brewpub would be a safer bet to have the right balance. Guess I just gave myself a research related reason to return.

4 comments:

  1. Johnny...you return. I was worried about King. Especially after not having seen my beloved Pontiac Porter around anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the porter in a bottle but it was flowing from the tap when I stopped in that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RIP King Brewing!

    -Chuck
    www.fermentation-nation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dead but not forgotten...it now arises from the ashes in the form of MillKing!

    ReplyDelete