Monday, January 31, 2011

Tommyknocker Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer

Tommyknocker Brewery
Idaho Springs, CO

The appearance of a dwarf has always preceded a bad event in the area according to Michigan lore, and with a major snowstorm forecast for the next two days I'll keep that tradition going. Ok, so technically this brewery refers to their 'mascot' as Tommyknockers and since there really isn't a picture of the little guy on the beer label I can't blame him for the impending blizzard doom. I will pin him with the responsibility of making a very mediocre ale though.
This poured a murky brown cola color and appeared flat. Not much going on with the aroma as I can only pick up some faint bitter cocoa and roasted malt. Can't say it tastes bad as its a soft refreshing Winter beer, but its a bit thinner than I'd like for anything that is supposed to have the characteristics of a porter. There is a Nesquick-like malty flavor up front before eventually fading to a dull taste without anything standing out. I'd recommend a single or two instead of chancing your palate to an entire sixer.

No comments:

Post a Comment