Sunday, January 23, 2011

Yuengling Black & Tan


D.G. Yuengling and Son
Pottsville, PA

The history of 'America's Oldest Brewery' could be an all night discussion in itself. Let's just say this company has found a niche for itself over the past decade and has survived long enough to become the 2nd largest American owned brewery.
Sadly this can't be found on beer shelves anywhere in the mitten state so I have to stock up twice a year when my in-laws come up for a visit. I've talked to some of my better beer store managers and the story they've been given is that the brewery does not want to distribute this far away. I'm throwing a yellow flag and suspect there are greater political powers that may be keeping them shut out from here.
Anyways, back to the beer, this is a great one for the Winter. Its light enough in body that its still refreshing, but not so thin that it has no character. There are nice roasty, chocolate notes in the aroma with some hints of smoke. The flavor is pretty light, but there is still enough evidence of a creamy porter to make it enjoyable. Big points for the price point as I believe you can walk out the door with a 12 pack for just over ten bucks. If this was ever offered up here there's little doubt this would become my 'cheap swill' during the Winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment